Preliminary Gear List (updated 06/19/17):
Mandatory race gear to be carried with all individuals at ALL times:
- race passport (one per team, provided)
- race maps (one set per team, provided)
- UTM gridreader, 1:24,000 (8hr only)
- Writing Utensil (one per team, 24-hour only)
- Waterproof shell
- Headlamp with fresh batteries (Mandatory for 24-hr, optional for 8hr)
- Water carrying capacity of at least 64oz
- extra long sleeve base layer (Mandatory for 24-hr, optional for 8hr)
- full finger gloves (bike gloves okay, recommended but not mandatory for 8hr)
- warm hat or buff (recommended but not mandatory for 8hr)
- whistle (attached and within reach at all times)
- space blanket
- compass (at least one per team)
- Bear Spray and knowledge of its use (at least one per team, easily accessible–NOT buried deep in your backpack!!) Check out this video for how to be safe in bear country. There are black and grizzly bears in the are you will be traveling, but it is highly unlikely that you will be lucky enough to see one with so many people out and about.
- first aid kit (one per team). Recommended: Adventure Medical Kit Ultralight .7, or build your own based on its contents
- cell phone with fully charged battery (one per team). For use as a camera or in case of emergency only. Using your cell phone for navigation is cheating and cheating is no good and will get you disqualified.
- water purification, drops or filter, one per team (Mandatory for 24-hr, recommended for 8hr)
- way to keep maps dry (one per team) **Maps will not be waterproof this year!
- Additional Note for 8hr racers: You will not get a bin or drop-bag at the Transition Area this year. Please be prepared to carry your trekking gear with you while you bike. Biking gear can be left with your bike while trekking.
- way to keep gear dry in case it rains
- Trekking Poles
- Bug Repellent
- Extra pair of socks (24hr)
- altimeter and knowledge of its use
- Long pants for off-trail travel
- duct tape (you never know what might need fixing!)
- running gaiters
- extra layers depending on weather
- Map board for bike
Mandatory bike gear:
- Mountain Bike
- Bike Helmet
- spare tube
- pump or CO2 canisters (one per team)
- tool kit (one per team)
- 24-hr: Quality lighting system for night riding (handlebar light and headlamp…the brighter the better).
- 24-hr: Rear red blinky light
Mandatory 24-hr gear for paddling section:
- Pack Raft, one seat per person. ***Backcountry Packrafts is offering a discounted rental rate on a limited number of Alpacka packrafts. Contact Matt at email@example.com to reserve your discounted raft. Paddles and PFDs available for an additional cost*** If you are renting a raft, we will get it to you at the pre-race meeting on Friday evening.
- PFD (Type III) with whistle attached.
- Paddle (2 or 4-piece is recommended. You will have to carry all your paddling gear a minimum of 2 miles)
- Way to keep maps dry (one per team). Waterproof map case recommended.
- Way to keep gear dry and in the boat while paddling (i.e. drybag or at least a trash compactor bag).
- Up to one bag per person that will fit all of your team paddling gear (except paddles). This includes: PFDs, packrafts, drybags, wet/drysuits, backpack (if using a secondary pack for carrying packraft), and whatever other paddling gear you need to stay warm/safe. We will allow food and water for the paddling leg in these bags as well, but please no other gear besides what is necessary for the paddle.
- Strap or bungee to keep all team paddles together for transport. A velcro or ski strap works well for this. If your paddles fit into your paddle bags, no need for this.
- Recommended: Drysuit, wetsuit, or splash jacket. It has been a big snow year here in the Teton region! As a result, water is flowing fast and is cccccold! This will be on fast-moving class I-II water, with low consequence but high chance of getting very, very chilly if you get wet. At the very least, make sure you have a splash top and layers that will keep you warm.
Additional note for 24-hr racers:
- There will be no gear bins this year! Instead, we will be providing each racer with two extra-large 20.5in x 17in ziplock bags, pre-labeled, one for each transition area. See above for info on the team paddling bag(s). This system will all make more sense at the pre-race meeting once you have your maps.