Preliminary Gear List (updated 4/12/18)
Mandatory race gear to be carried with all individuals at ALL times:
- race passport (one per team, provided)
- race maps (one set per team, provided)
- UTM gridreader, 1:24,000 (10hr only)
- Writing Utensil (one per team, 24-hour only)
- Waterproof jacket
- Headlamp with fresh batteries (Mandatory for 24-hr, optional for 10hr)
- Water carrying capacity of at least 64oz
- extra long sleeve base layer
- full finger gloves (bike gloves okay, recommended but not mandatory for 10hr)
- warm hat or buff
- whistle (attached and within reach at all times)
- space blanket
- compass (at least one per team)
- Bear Spray and knowledge of its use (at least one per team, easily accessible–NOT buried deep in your backpack!!) Check out this video for how to be safe in bear country, and this one about using bear spray. Although encounters are unlikely, there are black and grizzly bears in the area you will be traveling.
- first aid kit (one per team). Recommended: Adventure Medical Kit Ultralight .7, or build your own based on its contents
- cell phone with fully charged battery (one per team). For use as a camera or in case of emergency only. Using your cell phone for navigation is cheating and cheating is no good and will get you disqualified.
- water purification, drops or filter, one per team (Mandatory for 24-hr, recommended for 10hr)
- way to keep maps dry (one per team) **Maps will not be waterproof
Gear for ropes challenge (for both 10hr and 24hr races):
Two racers on each team must have:
- Climbing Harness
- ATC Belay device
- 2 locking carabiners
- Full-finger gloves (bike gloves okay)
- Helmet (bike helmet okay)
Teams are highly encouraged but not required to complete the ropes challenge. Teams not completing the challenge will not receive credit for that checkpoint. Make sure to check out the race details page for more info.
- way to keep gear dry in case it rains
- Trekking Poles
- Bug Repellent
- Extra pair of socks (24hr)
- altimeter and knowledge of its use
- Long pants for off-trail travel
- duct tape (you never know what might need fixing!)
- running gaiters
- extra layers depending on weather. Nights and early mornings can still be very cold in June!
- Map board for bike
Mandatory bike gear:
- Mountain Bike
- Bike Helmet
- spare tube
- pump or CO2 canisters (at least one per team)
- tool kit (one per team)
- 24-hr: Quality lighting system for night riding (handlebar light and headlamp…the brighter the better).
- 24-hr: Rear red blinky light
Mandatory 24-hr gear for paddling section:
- Packraft, one seat per person. Be prepared to carry all your paddling gear throughout sections of the race and bring a pack that will fit everything including your boat. Important rental information: Backcountry Packrafts, one of our great sponsors, is offering a discounted rate on quality Alpacka packrafts for race weekend. *You must reserve your raft by May 1st in order to get the discount!* Email Matt at backcountrypackrafts
@gmail.com to reserve your raft. Paddles and PFD’s are available to rent at an additional cost. All rafts and gear will be shipped to us here and Driggs, and we will distribute it all at the pre-race meeting.
- PFD (Type III) with whistle attached.
- Way to keep maps dry (one per team). Waterproof map case recommended.
- Way to keep gear dry and in the boat while paddling (i.e. drybag or at least a trash compactor bag).
- Up to one bag per person that will fit all of your team paddling gear (except paddles). This includes: PFDs, packrafts, drybags, wet/drysuits, backpack (if using a secondary pack for carrying packraft), and whatever other paddling gear you need to stay warm/safe. We will allow food and water for the paddling leg in these bags as well, but please no other gear besides what is necessary for the paddle.
- Strap or bungee to keep all team paddles together for transport. A velcro or ski strap works well for this. If your paddles fit into your paddle bags, no need for this.